We love the Cardinals and baseball so much that we have embarked on a journey to see all the MLB baseball stadiums and Cardinal affiliates. To document our tour of the stadiums, we created a map to pin pictures of each of the stadiums we visited.
Here are directions of how to make your own Cardinals Nation map.
- Polystyrene Foam Board Insulation (4’x8′) – from home supply store like Lowe’s
- Projector (if available)
- Utility Knife
- Red Paint (spray or roll on)
- Paint Roller (if necessary)
- MLB logos (see below for download links)
- Mod Podge (Matte or Glossy – your preference)
- Sharpie marker (I used silver)
- 3M Command Hanging Strips
- First make sure you peel off all the plastic from the foam board. I’d never used it before and didn’t realize this until after I’d painted it. I ended up removing it and repainting, which was a pain.
- If you have a projector, project the image of a US map onto the board and trace the outline of the country and states. Otherwise you can free-hand it. I pressed in pretty hard when I traced to make an indentation that was easy to see after painting when drawing in the states.
- Cut out the US map with a utility knife.
- Paint the front of the board and the edges with your favorite team color – red of course! My first round of painting was with spray paint and after I peeled off the plastic I went with some red gloss paint I already had. If necessary, add a second coat after it has fully dried.
- Cut out shapes of the MLB team logos (print your own – Page 1, Page 2).
- Draw in the state outlines with a Sharpie.
- Glue logos into proper locations using Mod Podge. I used a matte finish.
- Then using a roller brush, apply several coats of Mod Podge over the logos and entire map until the logos appear one with the rest of the map.
- Place at least four 3M Command strips on the back of the board. Press firmly onto a wall that you’d like to proudly display your journey.
- Pin pictures of all the stadiums you have visited!
I later added the Cardinals Nation logo and just applied it with Mod Podge.